The instincts of a child, right? They're far more capable of learning anything than any of us grown-ups. And their reaction times are nothing to sneeze at, either.

The fire engulfed a duplex in the Pulaski County community of Tateville, in south central Kentucky.

WYMT/Hazard reports via WEAU/Eau Claire, Wisconsin that four-year-old Dominic began to see smoke coming from the walls and woke his mother up.

The couple with which they were staying was asleep in their bedroom when Dominic came to wake them up and then get them, his mom, and the puppy outside before the building was destroyed by the blaze.

The Red Cross has been called to help the families with living arrangements.