Shaped by Faith: Wall Sit [Video]
Most everyone can find a wall to sit on! This amazing simple isometric exercise strengthens your Quadriceps muscles on the top part of the leg. This large muscle is necessary for day to day activities such as walking and rising from a seated position. It will also help with knee and thigh stability. Give it a try!
Sheilia Royal with Helping Hands Soup Kitchen does a beautiful job of sitting on the WBKR-WOMI outside Wall!
The Wall Sit is not a complicated exercise, most anyone can do it. You know you're doing it right if you form a right angle at your hips and your knees, your back is flat against the wall, and your heels are on the ground.
- Start with your back against a wall (or use an exercise ball if you have one) with your feet shoulder width and about two feet from the wall.
- Slowly slide your back down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Adjust your feet if you need to so that your knees are directly above your ankles (rather than over your toes).
- Keep your belly pulled in (SCOOP:) and your back flat against the wall.
- Hold the position for 20 to 60 seconds, rest 30 seconds, and repeat the exercise three times.
- Increase your hold time by five seconds as you increase your strength.
- You may feel a burning sensation in the quads, but if you have pain in the knee or kneecap, stop the exercise.
Here is a Powerful Scripture to memorize as you strengthen your legs!
Be STRONG in the LORD and in His mighty POWER!
Modified Wall Sit
Because this is an advanced exercise, you may need to modify your position or the length of your hold the first few times you try this exercise.
- To decrease the intensity of the wall sit, don't slide down the wall quite as far. Aim for a 45 degree angle at the hips rather than a 90 degree angle. This will take a bit of pressure off your knees and lighten the load on the quads.
- Another way to modify the exercise is to hold the position for a shorter amount of time at first and increase your hold time as you get stronger. Try a five or ten second hold in the beginning.
Remember to Breathe and Focus on the Word as you Work Out!
For more Shaped by Faith Simple exercises you can do anywhere check out https://www.youtube.com/user/trshapedbyfaith