What’s Cookin': 10-Minute Bean Soup & Broccoli Cornbread [Recipe]
Here's a quick and easy What's Cookin'? recipe from Melissa Webb, from the UK Cooperative Extension Office. How does 10-Minute Bean Soup and Broccoli Cornbread sound?
10-Minute Bean Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 (15.8 ounce) cans of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
4 cups of Kale, torn into small pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat, and sauté garlic and onion for 3 minutes or until onion is tender
2. Add beans, tomatoes, and broth to saucepan. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Add kale and cook until tender, for about 2 minutes.
3. Mix in lemon juice and Parmesan cheese just before serving. Optional garnish with finely chopped fresh basil or dried basil.
Note: cooked, dry beans may be substituted for canned beans. Using prepared dry beans in place of canned will reduce the sodium in this dish. If you can't find tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, use regular diced tomatoes and dried versions of these seasonings.
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/3 cup onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups fresh, or cooked frozen broccoli, finely chopped
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 (8.5- ounce) box quick corn muffin mix
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, blend melted margarine, onion, salt, cottage cheese, broccoli and eggs. Stir in muffin mix.
2. Pour into greased 9-by-13 inch pan.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.
Note: For thicker bread, bake in a 9inch round pan and add 5-7 minutes into the suggested cooking time.