If Pecan Pie and Cheesecake Got Married, They’d Give Birth to This Delicious Dessert
LOOK. AT. THAT.
That, my friends, is a Pecan Pie Cheesecake courtesy of Patty Millay of Owensboro, Kentucky. Patty is a monthly guest for the What's Cookin'? segment on the WBKR morning show. Patty joins the first Monday of each month and always brings in a big heaping helping of southern cooking and baking. Her latest creation is no exception. This is Pecan Pie Cheesecake and here's how to make it.
Our pecan trees are producing at their all-time high, so I wanted to share a recipe to soak up their yumminess! This recipe sure fits the bill for a new Fall favorite! This one takes a little time but is super easy. Accept the fact that your cake will split near the center, but it won't matter when you put that delicious topping on it!
PECAN PIE CHEESECAKE
1 cup pecan halves
2 sleeves graham crackers (14 crackers)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup salted butter, melted
3 - 8oz blocks of cream cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
3 large eggs
PECAN PIE TOPPING
1/2 cup salted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place your pecans in a food processor and pulse on high until they are finely ground.
- Add your graham crackers to the food processor and pulse until they form a sand-like (but tasty) texture.
- Transfer the pecan/graham mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spatula until well-combined - the texture should be like moist sand.
- Pour the crust mixture into a 9” spring-form pan and push it up against the sides to form a crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Reduce the heat in your oven to 325°F.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the cream cheese and sour cream. Mix until smooth and creamy. **Pro tip- make certain your cream cheese is room temperature!
- Add the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Blend again until well-combined.
- Add the egg yolks and whole eggs, then blend until they are just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the pan with your crust.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the heat in your oven and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 30 minutes. Then open the door of the oven and let the cheesecake cool for another 30 minutes.
- Store covered in the fridge overnight.
Pecan Pie Topping:
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt your butter.
- When your butter is melted, add the brown sugar and stir until fully-combined.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir until fully-combined.
- Add your room temperature heavy cream and stir vigorously until a creamy sauce forms.
- Add in your pecan halves and stir until all of the pecans are well-coated.
- Pour the pecan topping over the top of your cheesecake and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.