What’s Cookin': Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas [Recipe]
Here's a delicious What's Cookin'? recipe from Melissa Webb and Tabatha Carman, from the UK Cooperative Extension Office. How do Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas sound? They are relatively quick and have a just the right amount of south-of-the-border kick!
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (sliced lengthwise into strips
1-2 teaspoons of cumin
1-2 teaspoons of chili powder
¼ teaspoon of ground black powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
3 medium bell peppers*, any color or variety
1 medium onion
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
6 (8 –inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
*Two (12-14 ounce) bags of frozen fajita mix vegetables may be used in place of fresh bell peppers and onion
Optional Toppings: cheese, cilantro, guacamole, lettuce, salsa, sour cream
1. Place Chicken in a medium size slow cooker.
2. In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle seasoning over chicken.
3. Remove stem and seeds from bell peppers and peel from onion. Slice peppers and onion into ¼ inch strips and add them to the slow cooker, covering chicken. Pour tomatoes and green chilies over veggies.
4. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
5. Remove chicken from the slow cooker and let it cool slightly. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix with the peppers and onions.
6. Serve in a tortilla with optional toppings if desired.