If You’ve Never Tried a Frittata Before, Try Making This One from Kentucky
Have you ever tried a frittata before? Actually, a better question may be this? Do you know what a frittata is? A frittata is basically- "an Italian dish made with fried beaten eggs, resembling a Spanish omelet." That sounds pretty good, right?
There are some fantastic frittata recipes and tutorials on how to make them online.
Well, the UK Cooperative Extension Office has developed an excellent frittata recipe that combines a little bit of Italy with some Kentucky flair and flavor. This morning, Kelly Bland shared the recipe with us on the WBKR morning show.
And, to make this even more appetizing, the recipe is quick, easy and fuss free. Here's how to make it!
NO FUSS FRITTATA
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1 (8-ounce) package fresh sliced mushrooms
1 bunch asparagus, trimmedand sliced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
2. Gently scrub the onion and asparagus with a clean vegetable brush under cool running water before preparing them. Rinse the mushrooms under cool running water, being sure to remove any dirt; pat dry.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add onion, mushrooms, and asparagus. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
5. Crack eggs into a bowl; add black pepper and salt. Whisk until mixture is uniform in color and texture.
6. Pour eggs over vegetables in skillet. Sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
7.Place skillet in preheated oven. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until eggs are firm and a thermometer inserted into the center reaches 160 degrees F.
8. Cut into six slices and serve warm.
9.Store leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 hours.
When we share recipes from the UK Cooperative Extension Office, we do so with the intent of spreading their mission of creating healthy and cost effective recipes that you can make easily at home. The entire cost of the recipe for the No Fuss Frittata is $8.32. It makes six servings, which brings the cost per serving to just $1.47.
What's Cookin'? is sponsored weekly by Kentucky Legend. If you'd like to sample some incredible Kentucky Legend recipes, CLICK HERE!