How to Score Big Money From Robocallers in Illinois
I will admit this right now, I am a HUGE phone screener. If my phone is ringing and only lists a number calling, not a name, I will let it go to voicemail 9 times out of 10, but I may have to change that behavior so I can win some money. Here's why...
Texas Man Wins Over $100,000 in Robocaller Lawsuits
I recently came across an article on fox32chicago.com about a man in Texas named Dan Graham who has won over $100,000 in lawsuits against telemarketers, and I immediately thought, "good for him", BUT then I discovered this man also shared the secret of how we can win some robocall money too.
Are Robocalls Illegal in Illinois?
According to Texas law, it is illegal for telemarketers to call numbers on Texas' Do-Not-Call List, so now I'm wondering, what are the telemarketing laws in Illinois?
According to the Illinois Attorney General's website;
- Federal and Illinois law prohibits telephone solicitations before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Telemarketers are required to identify themselves with their name, the company they represent and a phone number at which their company may be contacted.
- You may ask any telemarketer to put you on a do-not-call list if you do not want them to contact you again.
So, if you go through the trouble of putting your number on the Do-Not-Call List, could you turn future robocalls into cash too? Possibly, if you follow the steps this Texas man has shared:
- Put your number on the NATIONAL Do-Not-Call List (it may take 30 days to go into effect).
- Start taking the calls to find out which specific businesses are calling you.
- Reach out to each of those businesses and ask them to stop calling you.
- If the business continues to call, file a lawsuit against them for violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Make sure to precisely document how many times these said businesses are calling and the specifics of each call so you can provide proof.
Obviously filing several lawsuits with the hopes you'll be awarded cash is a big headache, BUT so are getting dozens of robocalls each week. Which one do you loathe most? That is the big question.