If you are a grandparent currently raising a grandchild, you know how

Photo By: GRA

expensive it can be. The folks at Green River Area Development District may be able to help. GRADD has financial aid assistance for those who qualify. Find out more below.

 GRADD currently has financial aid available, through the Kentucky Family Caregiver Program (KFCP), to assist area grandparents who are raising their grandchildren. July 1st begins a new fiscal year, so even individuals who have previously participated in KFCP must reapply. 

This program provides services to grandparents who are primary caregivers to grandchildren age 18 or younger to whom they are related by blood, marriage or adoption (by the parents). The child must live in the caregiver’s home, and the child’s parents may not reside in the household. Grandparents who have legally adopted their grandchildren are eligible to receive funds for up to one year. 

Services include supplemental aid for necessities such as: clothing, educational supplies, personal care items, respite, counseling, and bedroom furniture. 

To receive financial assistance, eligible grandparents must have annual household incomes of no more than 150 percent of the federal poverty level and not receive state Kinship Care program benefits for the grandchild(ren) for whom they are seeking services. 

GRADD will host mandatory KFCP application workshops in each county in mid-July. All individuals interested in applying for assistance must call 1-800-928-9094 to register to attend one of the sessions. 

KFCP—funded through the Kentucky Cabinet for Health & Family Services, Department for Aging & Independent Living—provides a wide range of services including matching grandparent caregivers with support groups and providing information about resources, assistance in accessing services, counseling and training.  *For more details, please contact Monie Sosh at 1-800-928-9094.

More From WOMI-AM