Where to Find Blessing Boxes and Community Meals in Owensboro, Kentucky
I don't need to tell you that times are especially rough for a lot of people right now. Even if you aren't struggling, you have felt the sting of increased prices for, well, just about everything at the moment.
I am in a couple of Facebook groups that chat about life in Owensboro and folks post when they need help. Whether you know it or not, there are people in your life right now who have to decide between paying their OMU or buying groceries for their family. Can they afford to put gas in the car or purchase necessary medication?
One thing that I think is special about our community is that we always step up for those in need. I recently saw resources shared by The Center, a local organization that is committed to bridging the gaps between area services assisting families and individuals. They listed all of the information about Blessing Boxes in town for people to take advantage of so they don't go hungry as well as how to donate if you are able.
What is a Blessing Box?
Blessing Boxes are little cabinets/boxes/cubby holes around town at area churches, schools, or homes that stay stocked with canned goods, shelf-stable foods, and hygiene products thanks to the generosity of community members. Anyone can donate to them at any time and anyone can come take what they need at any time. There are no stipulations and no judgment.
What to Donate to a Blessing Box
If you are in a position to buy some extra things at the store to give to a local Blessing box, here are some ideas of things that people need and that can stay safely stocked until someone "shops" at a box.
- Canned food with ring-pulls
- Hand warmers
- Toilet paper
- Non-perishable foods like pasta, beans, rice, etc
- Bottled water
- Small snacks
- Toiletries, including hand soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Baby wipes
Where to find Blessing Boxes in Owensboro and Daviess County
- 724 Harvard Drive Owensboro, KY 42301
- 718 Devonshire Drive
- Front yard- 19th & Hathaway
- Seventh Day Adventist Church- 2288 Tamarack Rd
- Stella’s Box- 3407 Placid Place
- The Well Ministries Church - 1400 East Parrish Ave
- Germantown Park - 824 Crittenden Street
- Life Community Church - 1101 Breckenridge Street
- Klein’s home - 502 Poplar St
- Settle Memorial Curch – Daviess St & 4th St
- Front yard 615 Hall Street
- Whitesville Mercantile 9935 West St in Whitesville
- Whitesville Baptist Church 10167 Hwy 54
- 527 Allen Street (Third Baptist Church)
- Sutton Elementary School 2060 Lewis Lane
- Masonville Baptist Church 6601 Hwy 231
- Owensboro Middle School Booth Ave
- Owensboro Municipal Utilities 2070 Tamarack Rd.
- The Cadillac Motel W. 2nd St.
Free Hot Meals in Owensboro
Give The Center a follow on social media for up-to-date information on locations that serve community meals. Here is where you can currently find them. The Senior Center at 1650 W. 2nd Street also serves as a hub for Meals on Wheels if you or someone you know needs to sign up for them, they can call (270) 687-4640.