This Spicy and Tasty Cajun Fish Recipe Will Transport You to the Louisiana Bayou
If you're a fan of Cajun seasoning, you're going to want to hook this recipe in the mouth and reel it in. The UK Cooperative Extension Service has developed a flavorful recipe for Cajun Seasoned Fish with Rice.
There are a variety of ways to make your own homemade Cajun seasoning. Here's one!
And here's another! The UK Cooperative Extension Office's recipe guides you right along to Louisiana with an amazing Cajun blend of spices. Here's how you make the ragin' Cajun' fish dish!
CAJUN SEASONED FISH w/ RICE
1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 package (10 ounces) frozen
vegetable blend with onions,
celery, peppers, and parsley
• 3 cups cooked brown rice
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 1 1/2 pounds thawed fish fillets,
• 1 lime (optional)
1) Combine paprika, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and salt
in a small bowl. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
3) Add frozen vegetable blend.
4) Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until
vegetables are tender.
5) Add cooked rice and 1 teaspoon of prepared seasoning mix.
Cook and stir until rice is heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
6) Reduce heat to very low. Cover rice mixture and keep
warm while preparing fish.
7) Spray fish fillets on all sides with cooking spray and coat with
seasoning mix. Remember to wash your hands after handling raw fish.
8) Place a large cast iron skillet or other heavy, nonstick skillet on
the stovetop over medium high heat. Let the pan preheat until
it’s very hot but not smoking.
9) Place fish fillets in a single layer in the pan. The pan will smoke a little.Cook fish over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully turn the fish over. The
seasoning mixture will make a dark brown crust on the fish.
10) Cook the fish on the other side for 3 more minutes, or until it is solid
white and flakes easily with a fork, or registers at least 145 degrees F
when tested in the thickest part.
11) Divide fish into six portions and serve each piece over 1/2 cup of cooked rice.
12) Optional: Sprinkle fish with juice from one lime.
13) Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
The best part about the recipes shared by the UK Cooperative Extension is that they're designed to be healthy and cost-effective. The goal? To feed lots of mouths at an affordable price. The Cajun Season Fish with Rice dish makes 6 servings. Each includes 1 fish filet and a 1/2 cup of rice. The cost for the entire recipe is just $11.44. That makes the cost per serving $1.91.