Here’s a Delicious Taco Soup Recipe That Doesn’t Have Meat in It
Look! There are infinite recipes out there for Taco Soup! I did a quick search on YouTube and found an almost endless variety. Here are some of the recipes that quickly caught my attention (and appetite)!
But have you ever had a Taco Soup that didn't have meat in it? Well, thanks to the team at UK Cooperative Extension, there's now a recipe for Vegetarian Taco Soup.
Here's how to make it!
VEGETARIAN TACO SOUP
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 can (46 ounces) no-salt-added tomato juice
2 cans (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added corn, drained
1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
3/4 cup dry brown rice
1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
4 cups water
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on the stove top over medium heat.
2. Add diced onion and stir well.
3. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onion starts to turn clear.
4. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
6. Just as you would a taco, top each bowl of soup with ingredients like cilantro, cheese, diced onion, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapeno, hot sauce, or avocado.
7. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
The best part about recipes developed by the UK Cooperative Extension is that they're created to accomplish three things: a) to be cost effective b) to be healthy and delicious c) to feed as many mouths as possible.
The total cost of this Vegetarian Taco Soup recipe is estimated to be $9.11. It yields about 14 one-cup servings. That brings the total cost per serving to just $0.65!