Wal-Mart Pulls Powered Enfamil from Shelves
Stories from several news sources indicate Wal-Mart has pulled a batch of infant fromula from it's shelves after a newborn Missouri boy became ill with a suspected bacterial infection and dies after being taken off life support.
The Wall Street Journal, among others, says no government recall has been ordered for the 12.5 ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1J7G. Manufacturer Mead Johnson Nutrtion is quoted as saying its records showed the lot tested negative for the bacterium before it was shipped.
Wal-Mart officials told news sources the company decided to pull the lot "out of an abundance of caution", while health officials investigate. The product could go back on shelves depending on the outcome of an investigation but customers who boughts the cans have the option of returning them for a refund or exchange.
Missouri Health officials sent samples of the formula given to 10 day old Avery Cornett to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for testing.
Public health investigators continue to seek the source of Avery's infection are also looking at environmental factors such as water used in preparing the powered formula and anything else the baby might have ingested.